Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lucky Penny Holder

I am so honored to be asked to be a guest designer on Betty Bee's Buzz http://bettybeesbuzz.blogspot.com/for March 28, 2010 Monday Motivational.



I have decided to share with you my crocheted Lucky Penny Holder.


The supplies I used are


Crochet Cotton Size 10
Steel Crochet Hook size 6/1.80mm
Penny
12 inches 1/8" satin ribbon
scissors
Basic stitches: Ch (chain), sl st (slip stitch), sc (single crochet), dc (double crochet)
Round 1: chain 4, sl st in first ch to form a ring. Chain 3 (counts as DC). 15 DC in ring. Join with sl st in top of ch-3. total of 16 DC



Round 2: Ch 1, sc in first st, (6 dc in next st (shell), skip next st, sc in next st, skip next st) repeat around edge. Join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.

Back: On the backside of your flower. Sl st to base of one of the shells. Ch 3 (DC into space between shells, Chain 1. DC into base of shell DC, Chain 1). Repeat around. Join with sl st in top of ch 3. fasten off leaving a 3-4in tail.
Insert penny into back sleeve. Weave tail in and out thru top of back sleeve. Pull down like drawstring. Sew opening closed and weave in ends.


Weave ribbon thru stitchs of rnd 2. tie bow in front.

Note: Flowers can be made from the same steps. There would be no need for the back sleeve. You could do the first round as single crochet sc then Shell row. If you vary the size of your crochet cotton and or hook you will get different size flowers. Enjoy! Remember there are no mistakes, just HYBRIDS...


For my card I used


MS Punch Round the corner - Double Loops.
Cricut Classic Font for 3 flower border. pg 74
Computer Generated Poem with Print Shop
Bee paper from Tuesday Morning
other paper from my stash.

If you aren't a crocheter... you could display your penny as a center of a flower. Like the Sunflowers from Walk In My Garden or one of the other Cricut flowers. Or use lace or material and make a yoyo. We are only limited by our imagination.
To get the correct size for the 3 flower border pg 74. Use your fit to length button on the left side of your expression. I set it for 5" for my card. Watch the monitor and it will tell you what height will make that length. For me it was 1 3/4". Then you can set the size and do autofill and make multiple cuts that will fit your card perfectly and make lots of cards!!! Write it in your book so next time you're all set to go! Another tip I recently learned when you mail a card with a hard dimensional either put a piece of cardboard over the front or flip your card inside out with the embellishment on the inside... it won't be as pretty when they open the envelope but it will arrive in undamaged condition!

I made poem holders for Betty's March Swarm - Flying High with the Birds and the Bees







The poem reads:

I found a penny today, laying on the ground
But it's not just a penny, this little coin I've found.
Found pennies come from Heaven.
That's what my Dad told me.
He said that Angels toss them down.
Oh, how I loved that story.
He said when an Angel misses you
They toss a penny down.
Sometimes to cheer you up
To make a smile out of your frown.
So, don't pass by that penny
When you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from Heaven
That an Angel's tossed to you.

Now you give it a try! Have fun creating! I look forward to seeing everyone's version!
Special thanks to Betty Brett and my Texas friend Connie!
Judy Ford

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the hive! I am one of your new HoneyBee sisters, June.

    Your crocheted flowers are gorgeous; you could sell these to paper crafters! I especially like your poem and your creative use of the flowers.

    Thank you for my Bee treat bag. I have it hanging over my craft table and it holds my tape runner. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome June. Thanks for becoming one of my followers... my numbers are now doubled...hahahaha... I look forward to learning and sharing! I'm very excited!!!

    ReplyDelete